In June 2020 as a part of the BlueSprig family of companies, we committed to engage in a dialogue about equity and how the lack of it affects society and the workplace.
In June 2020 as a part of the BlueSprig family of companies, we committed to engage in a dialogue about equity and how the lack of it affects society and the workplace. We pledged to listen and learn which led us to form the powerhouse diversity and inclusion mission, Kintsugi.
Kintsugi earned its name based on the Japanese art form built on the philosophy that breakage and repair are part of the history of an object rather than something to disguise.
One of our core values here at FAC is a dedication to creating a level playing field for all; so Kintsugi’s efforts to foster a workplace that is equitable, diverse, and inclusive is a vital part of who we are. Through small workgroups, the Kintsugi team looks at every aspect of the BlueSprig family of companies’ employment experience to ensure that everyone is rewarded fairly and earns opportunities to bring their whole selves every day to allow for the fulfillment of our mission to change the world for children with autism.
Since its inception, Kintsugi members have been working hard to move forward with initiatives that support our mission. Some of these include:
- Partnering with the diversity and inclusion group Bowtie Leadership and Development to advise us on where we are today and where we need to be to ensure a level playing field for all.
- Creating an internal mentorship program that will be a way for people across the organization to connect with a mentor who can support them in achieving personal and professional goals.
- Developing a scholarship in partnership with the Greater Houston Black Chamber.
- Aggregating and summarizing baseline data on pay equity for RBTs to ensure that there are no discrepancies amongst center locations.
- Providing a hotline for employees to report discrimination.
- Contributing to an updated holiday schedule so that all employees from every background can celebrate days that mean something to them with their families.
This year, Kintsugi hopes to support initiatives that will continue to make our clients and staff feel safe and welcome. We plan to implement employee ID badges for home-based staff, work through the outcomes of the discovery period with Bowtie Leadership and Development, and revise client intake paperwork to ensure cultural sensitivity and accommodation of our diverse client population.
We’re so excited to see these initiatives come to life! Thank you to our Kintsugi members for creating accountability within BlueSprig and ensuring that there is a level playing field for all.